At Allerton Grange, we are very proud to offer tuition on the following wide and diverse range of instruments:
- Brass – Trumpet, Cornet, Trombone with the capacity for other brass instruments if required
- DJing – Digital DJ Controller and Mixer Decks
- Drums – Drum Kit and Percussion including Samba
- Guitars – Electric, Acoustic and Bass
- Keyboards – Piano and Electric Keyboards
- Strings – Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass
- Vocals – All Styles
- Woodwind – Flute, Clarinet, Saxophone, Recorder
We also run a number of extra-curricular Music groups including Samba Band, Rock Band, Concert Band, Brass Band and Choir. To see examples of students performing on or in any of the above come along to one of our Music concerts – please see details below.
The benefits of learning an instrument – from improving self-confidence and discipline to improving artistic and intellectual stimulation – are plain to see. These lessons also feed directly into the performance assessments of our Music curriculum.
- Autumn term – Key Stage 4 and 5 Concert 1 and The World of Music Concert
- Spring term – Key Stage 4 and 5 Concert 2 and The Music Showcase
- Summer term – Whole School Show and School Musical in collaboration with Drama
We now use two providers:
- ArtForms for Drums and Woodwind http://www.artformsleeds.co.uk/shared/cms/interface/view.aspx?id=1
- Yorkshire Music Education Services (YMES) for Brass, DJing, Guitars, Keyboards, Strings and Vocals http://www.ymes.org.uk/
- Students will receive 10 lessons a term.
- Students will learn in class sizes from 1 to 4 depending on the instrument and the numbers of students who want to learn. For example, on the guitar, groups of 2 or 3 are manageable.
- Lessons last between 20 minutes and half an hour depending on numbers in the group.
- Students do come out of timetabled classes to have their instrument lessons. Our instrumental tutors come into school on a set day and during a specific time period each week, but the lessons are on a strict rotation to minimise disruption to students’ learning. The lengths of these periods vary depending on the level of demand from the students. Tutors are in school from between 1 to 4.5 hours.
Allerton Grange funds the majority of the cost of music tuition, however, it is necessary to ask that parents contribute towards this cost.
- Lessons cost £50 a term for each instrument studied.
£50 per term is excellent value compared to the average cost of a private lesson outside of school, which is £25-30 per hour. The cost to school of one instrumental tutor per hour per term is £465. When the parental contribution is subtracted, school still pays over 50% of this cost.
- If your child qualifies for free school meals, they are entitled to one free instrumental lesson. If this is the case, please write ‘FSM’ on the contract to be returned.
Students in Years 11, 12 and 13 will not be expected to continue their lessons in the summer term, nor will they be charged due to the impact of exams on their attendance. If these students wish to continue then they must inform Mrs Casey.
£50 per term payable through your ParentPay account which is the school’s online payment system. A payment request for each term will be raised on ParentPay and payment can be made in full or in instalments, as long as the balance is paid in full by the end of the first half term, in which tuition is provided.
If you do not know your log in details, please ask for them to be forwarded to you.
For those parents without internet access, a ‘Barcode’ letter can be requested to take your payment to any of the many shops that have the PayPoint facility.
Should you wish to talk to someone regarding music tuition, please contact Ms Theresa Casey, Curriculum Leader for Music, Telephone: 0113 393 0304