Hair & Beauty
VTCT Level 2 Certificate in Hair and Beauty Skills (VRQ)
The main purpose of the VTCT Level 2 Certificate in Hair and Beauty Skills (VRQ) is to prepare you to progress to the next level of vocational learning and prepare you for the specific job role of a hairdressing or beauty therapy apprentice.
This qualification includes all the required elements to develop your practical hair and beauty skills
including a mandatory unit in; Creating an image based on a theme.
Students will also complete a minimum of four addition units from this selection;
• Shampoo & treat hair
• Blow dry and finish hair
• Basic cutting techniques for women’s hair
• Basic photographic make-up
• Basic winding techniques
• Plaiting and twisting hair
• Client and customer skills
• Colour hair using semi-permanent hair colour
• Promote yourself and prepare for a job interview
What can I do next?
On completion of this qualification, you will be able to progress to further learning at Level 2 to any of the qualifications listed below:
• VTCT Level 2 Extended Certificate in Hair and Beauty Skills (VRQ)
• VTCT Level 2 Diploma in Hair and Beauty Skills (VRQ)
Along with progressing to the above qualifications you will be able to progress to a Level 2 qualification in hairdressing or beauty therapy as part of an apprenticeship or a full time course at college. Some examples of these are:
• VTCT Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Hairdressing (QCF)
• VTCT Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Barbering (QCF)
• VTCT Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Beauty Therapy (QCF)
How will I be assessed?
Your knowledge and understanding in these units will be collected in a portfolio of evidence. Guidance for this will come from your assessor. Your assessor may also ask questions to confirm your knowledge and understanding. Your assessor will also observe your practical performance in one assessment. Your grade will be determined by achievement of assessment criteria and achievement of additional performance standards.
How will I be graded?
You will be awarded a Pass, Merit or Distinction for each unit. A Pass is worth 1 point, a Merit 2 points and a Distinction 3 points. Your unit points will be added together to work out your qualification grade.
This hairdressing course is a great way to learn and experience a broad and comprehensive understanding of the hair and beauty sector. Students develop significant knowledge which spans the entire vocational sector and related issues. They also develop academic and study skills that will support progression within hair and beauty and transfer to other subjects.
Our hair salon has been created as a realistic working environment where students are taught and assessed by former professional hairdresser, Miss Pam Riley. Students are encouraged to act in a professional manner, have excellent time keeping and adhere to the health and safety rules, as they would in the workplace. Within this environment, students learn well, enjoy the experience of working in the salon, make new friends, aim high and achieve excellent results.
A minimum of five subjects at grade 4 (or above) including English Language and Maths and you should be able to demonstrate an interest, knowledge or skill in hairdressing.
So why choose hairdressing?
• Provides a good platform for working as a modern apprentice.
• Develops creativity & hairdressing skills.
• Develops confidence & communication skills.
• Enhances social & negotiation skills.
• Encourages independent learning.
• Provides a workplace experience.