The Languages department at Allerton Grange School is one of the most successful in the country, consistently securing outstanding GCSE results which are significantly above the national average. We are an inclusive department and a large proportion of students continue with languages at GCSE level, with many achieving A* and A grades.
Students continue with the language they studied in Years 7-9 to GCSE level.
A GCSE in a foreign language forms part of the "EBacc" qualification introduced by the Government, and is likely to be very important to students applying to universities, and to some employers in the coming years.
In Year 8, students have two hours of German a week. They work from the Echo 1 and Echo 2 Textbook covering the topics listed below. They are assessed in all four skills: Listening, Reading, Speaking and Writing at the end of each unit
- Autumn 1: Describing your town and going out and about in town
- Autumn 2: Holidays
- Spring 1: Shopping and food
- Spring 2: After school activities
- Summer 1: Health and fitness
- Summer 2: Project work
In Year 8, students have two hours of Spanish a week. They work from the Listos 2 textbook covering the topics listed below. They are assessed in all four skills: Listening, Reading, Speaking and Writing at the end of each unit
- Autumn 1: Shopping
- Autumn 2: My town
- Spring 1: My town
- Spring 2: Free time
- Summer 1: Health – body parts and illnesses
- Summer 2: Health – healthy life styles
In Year 8, students have two hours of French a week. They follow the Michel Thomas Methodology (MT) which is separate from the other topics covered, as well as the Studio textbooks. They are assessed at the end of each module.
- Autumn 1: MT 10-11 Present tense, adjectives
- Autumn 2: MT 12-13 Present tense, adjectives
- Spring 1: MT 14-15 School subjects and opinions, asking questions and using the partitive article
- Spring 2: MT 16 Telling the time, what you eat at school, asking questions, using the partitive article
- Summer 1: MT 17 Hobbies and sport, present tense “er” verbs, using faire and jouer
- Summer 2: MT 18 Hobbies and sport, using “faire” and “jouer,” cultural film – Les Choristes
In Year 8, students have two hours of Urdu a week. They cover the topics listed below and are assessed in all four skills: Listening, Reading, Speaking and Writing at the end of each unit.
- Autumn 1: Home
- Autumn 2: Weather and seasons
- Spring 1: Free time
- Spring 2: Places in town
- Summer 1: Family and friends
- Summer 2: Daily routine
How parents can support
1. Test your child when they have a vocabulary test to revise for.
2. Encourage your child to use our online resources (see 'Useful Links' below) and practise the topic that they are studying in their language lesson.
German, French, Spanish -
www.linguascope.com Beginner section (Ask your MFL teacher for the Username and Password)
www.funwithlanguages.vacau.com KS3 Section