Level 2 Certificate in Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy (VRQ)
This course is equivalent to a GCSE.
The units that make up this qualification are:
- Understanding the hair and beauty sector
- Hair and beauty research project
- Marketing and promotions in hair and beauty
- Responding to a hair and beauty design brief
Method of assessment: Internal assignments and one external exam - Pass, Merit, Distinction
In addition, students have the opportunity to gain practical Level 2 Certificates with the following units:
- Blow dry and finish hair
- Shampoo and treat hair
- Basic cutting techniques for women’s hair
- Promote yourself and prepare for a job interview
- Create an image based on a theme
Method of assessment: Internal assignments - Pass, Merit, Distinction
This hairdressing course is a great way to learn and experience a broad and comprehensive understanding of the hair and beauty sector. Students develop significant knowledge which spans the entire vocational sector and related issues. They also develop academic and study skills that will support progression within hair and beauty and transfer to other subjects.
Our salon, chAnGeS @ Allerton Grange, has been created as a realistic working environment where students are taught and assessed by former professional hairdresser, Miss Pam Riley. Teaching in the salon focuses on the main services such as shampooing and conditioning hair, blow drying hair and cutting hair. Students are encouraged to act in a professional manner, have excellent time keeping and adhere to the health and safety rules, as they would in the workplace. Within this environment, students learn well, enjoy the experience of working in the salon, make new friends, aim high and achieve excellent results.
All aspects of the course are assessed by the internal verifier to meet VTCT and regulatory requirements. An external verifier, appointed by the VTCT visits the salon to sample and quality-check the assessments.
Underpinning this qualification students will develop a good knowledge of Health & Safety and what it is like to work in the hairdressing industry. They will also develop a knowledge and understanding of the practical skills learned throughout this qualification.
The purpose of this qualification is to develop skills to a high level of occupational ability to enable students to perform their own services and assist others.
So why choose hairdressing?
- Provides a good platform for working as a modern apprentice.
- Develops creativity & hairdressing skills.
- Develops confidence & communication skills.
- Enhances social & negotiation skills.
- Encourages independent learning.
- Provides a workplace experience.