Year 11 Careers
It is our vision at AGS that students acquire and develop the skills needed in an ever changing global society to manage their careers, sustain employability and achieve personal and economic wellbeing throughout their lives.
AGS strives to meet the eight Gatsby Benchmarks that are recognised to be the core dimensions of good careers and enterprise provision in schools:
• To provide a stable careers programme
• To support learning from career and labour market information
• To address the needs of each pupil
• To link curriculum learning to careers where possible
• To provide encounters with employers and employees
• To provide opportunities for and guidance on workplace experiences
• To provide encounters with further and higher education
• To offer personalised, impartial guidance
Year 11 Aim: A practical focus on making plans and applications for post-16 learning
• Post 16 options talk and resources (recovery curriculum).
• Writing a successful personal statements (recovery curriculum).
• How to apply on start in Leeds (recovery curriculum).
• Curriculum leaders about their A Level subjects and potential future career pathways.
• National Apprenticeship Service talk.
• Talks from AGS Sixth Form, Leeds City College and University Technical College.
• National Citizenship Challenge.
• Oxbridge, UCAT and Russell group universities.
• Employer talks.
• Bradford University on considering post 18 choices.
Planning for Progress
• W1. Why is it important to be resilient with setbacks in your career?
• W2: J.K.Rowling’s career
• W3: Steve Job’s career
• W4: Planning for change. What is plan A, plan B, plan C?
• W5: Stress management techniques.
• Start Careers” workshop for all students on how to apply for post 16 courses and the ‘post 16 options module’.
• All students attend a “get to know you meeting” with their year team to discuss their aspirational career and future pathway.
• All students attend a 1-2-1 meeting with a careers guidance practitioner to discuss their post 16 options and potential future careers.
• AGS Sixth Form open evening
• Extra-curricular STEM clubs.
• Employer workshops for selected groups: BBC Roadshow, Into University Programme (workshops are subject to employer provision).
• Lifeskills workshop and Leeds City College workshop for selected groups.
• Invitation to AGS careers fair hosting many employers and FE providers.