Year 10 Careers
It is our vision at AGS that students acquire and develop the skills needed in an ever changing global society to manage their careers, sustain employability and achieve personal and economic wellbeing throughout their lives.
AGS strives to meet the eight Gatsby Benchmarks that are recognised to be the core dimensions of good careers and enterprise provision in schools:
• To provide a stable careers programme
• To support learning from career and labour market information
• To address the needs of each pupil
• To link curriculum learning to careers where possible
• To provide encounters with employers and employees
• To provide opportunities for and guidance on workplace experiences
• To provide encounters with further and higher education
• To offer personalised, impartial guidance
Year 10 Aim: Understand self-presentation and what employers want
Presentations covering the following:
• Unifrog talks on evidencing employability.
• Employer talks.
• Writing a personal statement
• Creating a CV talk
• Presenting yourself in a job interview
Planning for Progress
W1. Understanding what the labour market is and how it might influence career choice.
W2. Careers in the construction industry.
W3 : Careers in digital industry.
W4 : Careers in the creative industry.
W5 : Careers in the finance and professional services industry.
W6 : Careers in health and social care.
W7 : Careers in the manufacturing and engineering industry.
W8: Employer rights
W9: Employee rights
W10: Disciplinary action and procedures in a workplace
W11: Sickness procedures in a place of work (attendance and punctuality focus)
W12: Average salary depending on level of education.
W13: Break down of average salaries per industry.
W14: Average living costs vs average salaries
W15: What are the most competitive industries? What skills do you need to demonstrate to compete?
• “Start Careers” workshop for all students on employability.
• All students attend a “get to know you meeting” with their year team to discuss their aspirational career and future pathway.
• Experiencing a workplace visit (Yorkshire Water-Headingly Centre) (1st, 2nd, 3rd December 2020)
• Mock job interview with volunteers from the department of work and pensions (28th June 2021)
• AGS Sixth Form taster day (30th June)
• Extra-curricular STEM clubs.
• Employer workshops for selected groups: BBC Roadshow, Into University Programme (workshops are subject to employer provision).
• Duke of Edinburgh silver award.
• Invitation to AGS careers fair hosting many employers and FE providers.