Year 8 Careers
It is our vision at AGS that students acquire and develop the skills needed in an ever changing global society to manage their careers, sustain employability and achieve personal and economic wellbeing throughout their lives.
AGS strives to meet the eight Gatsby Benchmarks that are recognised to be the core dimensions of good careers and enterprise provision in schools:
• To provide a stable careers programme
• To support learning from career and labour market information
• To address the needs of each pupil
• To link curriculum learning to careers where possible
• To provide encounters with employers and employees
• To provide opportunities for and guidance on workplace experiences
• To provide encounters with further and higher education
• To offer personalised, impartial guidance
Year 8 Objective: Explore interests and develop a broad understanding of the world of work
Presentations covering the following:
• Understanding the current labour market.
• What are your options? A-Levels, university, college, apprenticeships.
• Employer talks.
• Leeds City College on GCSE option choices and vocational courses.
Planning for Progress
Linking the curriculum to careers. Student to complete an industry related tasks relating to each subject area:
W5: Product design
W9: Food Technology
W13: Religious studies
W15: Art and design
• Start Careers” workshop for all students to understand the labour market information available and develop their profile (HT4).
• All students attend a “get to know you meeting” with their year team to discuss their aspirational career and future pathway.
• Extra-curricular STEM clubs.
• Employer workshops for selected groups: National Enterprise Challenge and Into University Programme (workshops are subject to employer provision).